modconf ; etc/modules and loading modules at boot up

Hi.
It´s me again.
I ve got another problem with my modconf and my /etc/modules.
I ve compiled the 2.4.17 Kernel.
One of my modules which have to be insmod at boot up is the 8139too.o modul.
If put it manually in the /etc/modules so it looks like this:
# /etc/modules : Kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the name of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.
8139too.o

Ok.
That`s it.
modconf is also installed.
So there should be no problems.
But the modul is not loadad at boot time ???
What can be wrong ?

Thanks for any help

http://www.gmx.net