Re: man-db install error

Satz- und Datentechnik Günter Knab
B|ro f|r Systemanalyse und angewandte Mathematik
Geiselhofer Strasse 5
92272 Lintach

tel:+49.9627.91261
fax:+49.9627.91262
mailto:gknab@asamnet.de
http://www.asamnet/~knabguen

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, D & E Radel wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> Error installing man-db. Can anyone please tell me how to fix this problem:
>
>     Fetched 334kB in 1m6s (4997B/s)
>     Selecting previously deselected package man-db.
>     (Reading database ... 33532 files and directories currently installed.)
>     Unpacking man-db (from .../man-db_2.3.16-4_i386.deb) ...
>     Setting up man-db (2.3.16-4) ...
>     chown: man.root: invalid user
> <-------- this error
>     dpkg: error processing man-db (--configure):
>     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>     Errors were encountered while processing:
>     man-db
>     E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> Not long ago, a whole stack of system user accounts appeared on the KDM
> login screen. After, messing around in KDE tools, I got rid of them, but
> think
> that I have killed them all. However, besides this error, my system seems to
> run per usual, with no problems.

looks like an missing entry in /etc/passwd:
--- /etc/passwd on _my_ system
man:x:6:100:man:/var/cache/man:/bin/sh
---

May be this entry was accidently deleted, just add it again with your
favorite editor.  Reinstallation of the package schould finish without
error

-- gk