xawtv/bttv not receiving signal

I'm trying to get my new TV tuner card working.  I've installed bttv and
xawtv, but am unable to receive any sort of signal -- the best I can get is
some snow on the top 20% of the xawtv screen, with the remainder being solid
black.  If I do "xawtv -hwscan", I get the following

---------------
kurtl@M3:~$ xawtv -hwscan
This is xawtv-3.70, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.17)
looking for available devices
port 58-58
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : NV10 Video Overlay

port 59-90
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : NV05 Video Blitter

/dev/video0: OK                         [ -device /dev/video0 ]
    type : v4l
    name : BT878(Pinnacle PCTV Studio/Ra)
    flags: overlay capture tuner
---------------

which tells me that xawtv is seeing the tuner card correctly.  Additionally
lsmod shows the following:

---------------
tuner                   8356   1  (autoclean)
tvaudio                11200   0  (autoclean) (unused)
bttv                   65472   0
i2c-algo-bit            7148   1  [bttv]
i2c-core               12992   0  [tuner tvaudio bttv i2c-algo-bit]
videodev                4672   2  [bttv]

which I believe are all the required kernel modules.

The tuner card is hooked up to a digital cable box (TimeWarner service) and
I've verified that a TV hooked into the same box can receive signal.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

--kurt