Squid - Had to "recreate" the cache...

Hi Folks,

   It installed Squid in a server three months ago and I had no problem
with it since the instalation date.

   But yesterday, it stopped working well. It only sent to clients the
first 6910 bytes of the page and then stopped. Every computer in the
localnet using it as a proxy, only could browse pages with less then
this size...

   I tried /etc/init.d/squid restart

   I tried /etc/init.d/squid stop; /etc/init.d/squid start

   They did not work...

   After some hours, I could make it work again doing:

       /etc/init.d/squid stop
       rm -rf /var/spool/squid
       squid -z
       /etc/init.d/squid start

   Did squid cache got corrupted? why? what happened?

   Did anyone had the same problem?

    Thanks in advance,
    Pedro