Re: Could not connect passive socket?

On Friday 08 February 2002 11:10 pm, John Lord wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> The last couple of days I have not been able to d/l anything from the
> uk server, I get the following:
[snip]
> Get:2 #ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org# testing/main killustrator 1:1.1-beta2-3
> [543kB]
> Err #ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org# testing/main killustrator 1:1.1-beta2-3
>   Could not connect passive socket.
[snip]
> I normally have no problems, and have not seen this error message
> before.
>
> Hints please ;-)

Hi John

Well, you're not alone - I've been getting this on and off since the
middle of January :( It just didn't want to know at all last night.
Switching to http has generally worked, though even then I've had the
occasional hiccup where it wouldn't connect. I've had to switch to http
permanently at work as ftp access always gives connection refused - just
to ftp.uk.debian.org. Pointing to another ftp mirror like
ftp.fr.debian.org works fine too[1]

If anyone more informed could enlighten us, it'd be appreciated.

Regards, Martin

[1] Though the recent rsync problems made that a bit hairy too.
--
martin@dbg400.net  jamaro@firstlinux.net  http://www.dbg400.net        /"\
DBG/400 - DataBase Generation utilities - AS/400 / iSeries Open        \ /