hwclock not working

My machine was freezing up during the boot process at the hwclock.sh
init.d script (and still would if it were enabled).  When I change the
script to run:
hwclock --debug --hctosys $GMT $BADYEAR
which expands to
hwclock --debug --hctosys --utc

it freezes at "Waiting for clock tick..."

The BIOS setup displays the correct time, and seems to get updated,
but it still seems like some kind of hardware failure.  Is there any
way to verify this without testing with a separate motherboard?

Oh, and I'm running this on an Athlon 1G with 2.4.17-k7 (+ ext3 built
in to kernel) on a Testing box, with hwclock 2.4c/util-linux-2.11n.

Andrew.