Re: PPP and Linux 2.4.9

 --- ben <benfoley@rcn.com> wrote: > On Friday 08
February 2002 04:32 am, Mark Sweeting
> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have been trying to get a modem working on Linux
> > 2.4.9. I am able to get it all working on a
> machine
> > running 2.2.15, but for some reason it won't work
> on
> > the newer version of Linux.
> >
> > I have tried with the stable version of ppp and
> the
> > newer versions (stable and testing, 2.4.1).
> >
> > The interface seems to come up, and I can connect
> > my ISP. The local and remote IPs seem to be
> > configured, and the correct entries are added to
> > resolve.conf and to the routing table.
> >
> > However, I can't ping either the remote IP, the
> local
> > ppp0 interface or anything else.
> >

> do  ps aux|grep pppd
>
> if you don't see a line that describes your ppp
> dialup connection, then pppd
> isn't running--for whatever reason. are you
> absolutely sure that you did
> install pppd?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Yes, I do have ppp
installed, pppd is up and running, and it appears all
the packages needed are installed. Syslog doesn't show
any errors -- it shows that everything coming up in
order. As I said, the routing table looks OK - there
is an entry for my local network and for the rest of
the world through ppp0. /etc/resolve.conf looks OK
too, it has the new name servers in (though the
origional one on my local network gets removed. Will
this upset the internet side of things?).

The strange thing is it works on the older system and
not the newer one. I guess I was wondering if this is
a bug, or just my setup.

Cheers,

Mark