RE: IRda

Brooks R. Robinson writes:
 > | I am trying to use my InfraRed port in my Debian box (HP Omnibook Xe3,
 > | kernel 2.4.4) but without any sucess:
 > |
 > | It seems that the port it is not recognized by the system.
 >
 > Okay, I'll go for the standard questions...
 >
 > 1) Do you have the IR enabled in the BIOS?

I think so (I will verify that anyway after sending this message), I
have a dual machine Linux/Win32 and I am almost shure that I already
used the IrDA port under Win32.

 > 2) Do you have IrDA (infrared) support compiled/modules into/for your
 > kernel?

I read the "Linux Infrared HOWTO" and I've tried to follow it:

pcporta16:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.4# make xconfig &

and then:

IrDA support
 IrDA subsystem support             y
 irLAN protocol                     y
 irNet protocol                     y
 Ultra protocol                     y
 IrDA protocol options              y
 Cache last LSAP                    y
 Debug Information                  y

IrDA Device drivers
 SIR
 IrTTY                              y
 IrPORT                             y
 FIR
 SMC IrCC                           y

But, it seems that the IrDA device it is there

pcporta16:~# dmesg | grep tty
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged!
ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged!

pcporta16:~# cat /proc/net/irda/discovery
IrLMP: Discovery log:

pcporta16:~# cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
  1 mem