Installing on a second disk (hdb)

on an already running system ?   I'm getting a fair amount of disk seek
timeout messages in the kernel log and I'd like to rebuild the system with a
new HD.  But I'd also like to have it down for the least amount of time
possible.

Can I plug the new hd at hdb, make the partition structure I want, put the
install image somwhere on any disk/partitions, then boot to a floppy, give
some input to the loader and have it start installing locally ?

Jason Harris