Re: Can't un/install session manager

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 06:04:19PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> While uninstalling gdm, the process hung, and I stupidly Ctrl-C'd
> it and then tried again. After that, I've been unable to uninstall
> or reinstall xdm, gdm, or wdm. Here's the type errors I'm getting:
>
> Setting up gdm (2.2.5.3-2) ...
> dpkg: error processing gdm (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
> Setting up wdm (1.20-13) ...
> dpkg: error processing wdm (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
> Setting up xdm (4.1.0-13) ...
> dpkg: error processing xdm (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
>  gdm
>  wdm
>  xdm
>

> I suspect it has to do with update-alternatives, but it's beyond
> me to figure out how to get it fixed. Anyone have any fixes they
> can toss my way?

I haven't got a fix, but I hope I can help you along...

Have a look in /var/lib/dpkg/info/xdm.* - especially
    xdm.config
    gdm.config
    wdm.config

If my (volatile) memory is correct, dpkg will invoke these in the
configure stage. It looks like they give a non-zero exit code.

To track down what's up, you may want to add a
    set -x
somewhere along the top.

HTH
--