Re: apt-get = kill system ??

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 22:44:02 -0800 (PST) "nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:
> <quote who="nate">
> > this is REALLY weird.
> >
> > i have a script that runs from a special server and does
> > an
> >
> > ssh $server "apt-get -qq update ; apt-get -d -y -q -u upgrade"
> > (as user root)
> >
> > i aborted the script during the process and it seems
> > to have killed 3 of my servers! i don't get
>
> right after i hit submit i checked the servers again and
> they recovered on their own ..all 3 are on the same LAN,
> on 2 different switches..i noticed load went real high
> on them(well, compared to normal, the load went to 1.8 or
> something, which is nothing for a dual p3-800 server).
>
> and as im writing this they all went down again. !(#($
>
> i just didn't kill apt-get fast enough..
>
> ARGH. this is so weird. these systems are so fast
> apt-get should be nothing for them.
>
> so i guess in the next 10 mins they will come back
> and i will attempt to kill apt-get to keep them from
> going out again..

Having never tried what you do, this is just a wild-assed-guess:
what if, instead of running things in "rsh"-mode, you actually
ssh into the box, and type:
  apt-get update && apt-get -d -u upgrade

Maybe you'll see some error messages that -qq hides.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
!  "As I like to joke, I may have invented it, but Microsoft |
|   made it popular" David Bradley, regarding Ctrl-Alt-Del   |