Re: video card

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:56:52PM +0000, Gerard Robin wrote:
> Hello,
> I plan to buy a computer equipped with a processor AMD Athlon xp 1600+.
> My vendor suggest me to use the video card ATI expert 2000
> with linux (my dist is potato 2.2r2 with xfree 3 )
> There is a lot of drivers ATI in the list.
> Is it possible that one of these drivers matches the ATI expert 2000 card ?
> Can someone give me some advices.

I found ATI to be the best supported cards in X (for open source drivers
that is). I have ATI Radeon 64M DDR and I have great 3D performance. Better
than under Windows 2000 and onward. At work, I have 2 Debian workstations
with older ATI cards. One is Winboard and the other Rage 64 or something.
Both work great but no 3D accel. of course :)

A friend of mine has NVideo GeForce 2 MX card and it seems to run fine with
NVidia's drivers.  But the performance is a bit slower than with Radeon. But
NVidia seems to be a good choice for.

As for people complaining that Radeon development is Linux is halted, looat at

http://www.ati.com/na/pages/corporate/employment/toronto/325.html

Want a job?? :)

- Adam