Re: Recommended approach for installing Woody

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 12:33:10PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:47:55 -0600 (CST) Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@chartermi.net> wrote:
> > I've installed woody from potato via dist-upgrade "apt-get --fix-broken
> > --show-upgraded dist-upgrade" now three times in the past year; twice on
> > my own machine and twice on others, and have allways been successful. The
> > first time, dpkg couldn't preconfigure and I had to start installing
> > packages one by one with apt-get until I finally found out the complaint
> > was that I didn't have apt-utils (if I remember correctly); after I
> > installed that, everything was fine. I think one other time I had to run
> > dist-upgrade to get everything to download and install, but that was no
> > big problem. A lot of the trick with upgrading to woody from potato is
> > making sure everything downloads. The two things that can prevent this
> > that I can think of immediately are: a ppp connection that broke off--but
> > you should know about this because you'll get messages; and either not
> > having the right lines in your sources.list or, if your potato lines are
> > still there too, not having the woody lines in the right place, above the
> > potato lines. Of course, I know it's not that simple; there are plenty of
> > other things that can go wrong, but these were the ones that I found. At
> > any rate, I'd be pretty comfortable now upgrading from potato to woody if
> > I had to do it on a machine of my own or for somebody else.
>
> One suggestion might be to do:
>    apt-get -d dist-upgrade
>    apt-get --fix-broken --show-upgraded dist-upgrade
>
> So, if your ppp (or broadband, for that matter) link goes down,
> your system isn't messed up.

I found that potato to woody upgrades went a lot better if the very
first thing I did was "apt-get install apt debconf"

I've done quite a few; all went reasonably well, though I've been
using debian for a while now; my pain tolerance may be a little
higher.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.