adding a nic

I have an old compaq with 2 nics that I plan to use for a gateway/firewall. Both nics are ne2k compatable, and both are isa. One works under the 2.2 kernel, one works under 2.4 (I guess it's the better isa pnp support).

I've got the nic that works under 2.2 to use the cable connection, I've upgraded the packages and the kernel (2.4.17) and all is well. Now I just need to figure what I have to add to get the second nic working... I'm referring to getting a module loaded, I haven't done this before. I can handle adding the new nic to interfaces and setting the network parameters.

Thanks for all help,
Mike