Stange Debian boot/install problem

Could anyone please tell me why my Debian 2.2r4 install freezes?  I have an eMachines 1.5Ghz P4, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb drive (pri master) with XP installed and partitioned up, 10Gb drive (pri slave) which is empty and is the intended install drive, 40x DVD rom (sec master) and 32x8x4 CD/RW (sec slave).
I boot from CDROM and get the Debian boot menu, press enter to continue, and then the boot freezes after the 'md driver 0.36...' message.  This is peculiar to Debian as both Mandrake and Redhat install fine.  I've tried earlier releases, and booting from floppy disk, all with the same result.
I've looked at other bootlogs and they seem to issue 'ide0...' and 'ide1...' messages instead of 'md driver 0.36...' - is this relevant?
Please help, it's driving me nuts!

Never pay another Internet phone bill!
Freeserve AnyTime, for all the Internet access you want, day and night, only £12.99 per month.
Sign-up at http://www.freeserve.com/time/anytime