partition types

OK, I've got a REALLY STUPID question here. :/

I decided recently that I wanted to try out the "Linux from Scratch"
project (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org). In order to do this particular
thang one has to create a reasonable sized partition on which to create
the installation.

Now, when =I= go into my /dev/hda with GNU parted, or fdisk, or what have
you, what do I see? That's right, 4 primary partitions: the max you can have.

Dumb question is: can I change my root partition to type extended and
create two logical partitions (one holding the original root stuff, the
other for Linux from Scratch things) within it? Without destroying my
beloved Debian system?

Or does it just not work that way?

I told you it was stupid! See how I trust you fine folks, to parade my
ignorance before you like this? :-)

Foolishly,

Glenn
http://www.burningclown.com