Install woes...X problem

	I'm having a tough time all of a sudden. My non-X machines work
great but I'm having a problem on my desktop.
	I tried every type of Debian (2.2_rev5, Woody, Sid,
pseudo) download I could get and they all failed. Mostly due to my USB
keyboard and mouse. I eventually got an image of Progeny and the GUI
install went off without a hitch. Until it said it would restart X and
allow mw to login... Then the Xserver crashed *shrugs*. I prefer Debian,
I've used it few a few years now and I can never go back.
	I upgraded Progeny every which way you can think of and
reinstalled a lot. A common problem I am seeing is my console going black
for 30sec every couple of minutes and while out the NUM LOCK light blinks
and the keystrokes are not registered. I've messed with X for hours and
nothing will change it. This error also scrolls up the screen once in a
while:
Probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a
VIA686a. Probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration.
	I believe the X version is 4.0

	Someone told me it could be my system hardware so I will list it
at the bottom of this post. I am very interested in getting this resolved
and will work on it as long as I have to so please send any suggestions
you can.

My system is as follows:
ASUS A7A266 Motherboard w/Ali chipset
AMD Athlon 1400
GeForce2 MX-400 (AGP)
SoundBlaster Live Value
3Com 3C905 Combo
HP 9100i CDRW
Microsoft Natural Pro Keyboard
MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer

	If I left anything out anywhere you anyone needs more info please
let me know. One friend from a Linux support company told me I was out of
luck because I was using an AMD chip and an AGP vid card.

Thanks,
Ray

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path
and leave a trail.