Re: OT: Hot-swappable IDE drives - fun stuff

hi ya ron

i think its possible...
donno why "nobody does it... per se"

found some supposed "hot swap IDE drive bays"...

	http://www.Linux-1U.net/Parts/#SCA
	( drive bays are just above it )

i think you can tell the system that the drive is NOT ready
while the drive is offline... swap it out... do your magic...
and than put it back online ???
	- tricky though.... if the new disk is clean
	that it'd need to be re-sync'd before it can be
	put back online and the cpu merrily keeps writing
	new data to it

there is a hotswap ide drive project.. looking to do this right ??
	http://www.linux-ide.org/

- why does one need hotswap ??? how often does an IDE disk die ???
	- i'd worry more aobut power cables, ethernet cables being jiggled
	- i'd worry about cpu and system fans dying
	- i'd worry about power supply dying
	- i'd worry about "users/developers"

Various reasons for disk  failures...
	http://www.Linux-1U.net/Disks/Disk_Failure.gif