Re: Creating boot floppies

Martin Wuertele <martin@wuertele.net> writes:
> if you just need a boot disk to boot you system, not a rescue disk you
> might want to use mkboot

  Thanks for the pointer. This is what I was looking for. I ran:

    mkboot /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17-686-smp

  However, this creates a floppy that panics when it tries to mount the
  root filesystem. Something about device 302. My root filesystem is on
  /dev/hda2. I tried adding the -r /dev/hda2 option to no avail.
  Thoughts?

> otherwise you want should take a look at the mkrboot package

  Another good pointer. Any suggestions on its use? I tried it with the
  lilo loader, and it wants a file called root.bin which is nowhere to
  be seen. The man page does not indicate how to make it, nor does
  /usr/share/doc/mkrboot offer any examples (I suppose I should write up
  a bug report against mkrboot for that).

Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!