firewire storage solution recommended

  Patrick> Hello list,
  Patrick> I am planing to buy a firewire external removeable ide disk.

Does that mean a disk that goes into  a firewire/ide converter ?

  Patrick> How does currently linux 2.4 kernel support firewire interface?

Yes it does.  I currently use it with a Pioneer DVD burner and a WD
30GB HD.  I would start with kernel 2.4.14 and just use the firewire
modules which are part of the kernel.  You shouldn't need to download
the CVS versions.

  Patrick> Any firewire removeable ide disk or interface has been
  Patrick> proven workable under Linux 2.4?

Lots of them, check out the linux ieee1394 site and check out the
compatibility guide, how-to's etc..

http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/

Brian