Re: delayed transfer of mail to Pine

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 10:15:38AM -0600, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> I am using fetchmail and pine; lately I am noticing something that didn't
> happen before, so I wonder if it has to do with an upgrade of fetchmail.
> When I fetch my mail, my primary pop3 usually has at least a couple
> hundred messages, and all of them are fetched. But when I get into Pine,
> only 100 of those messages are present, plus the smaller numbers of
> messages from my other email providers. This wouldn't bother me, except
> that it is sometimes fifteen minutes or more before the rest of those
> messages finally appear in my Pine inbox. What's going on here? At first,
> I thought I was losing mail; it does all eventually get to the inbox, but
> why the big delay?

If you are using exim as your MTA, edit /etc/exim.conf and change the value
of smtp_accept_queue_per_connection to a sane value for your mail volume.
The default value is 10.  For a smarthost set-up, I believe this is changed
to 100, which is way too low if you subscribe to active mail lists like
debian-user.  What is happening is that exim is queueing everything over
100 messages for later delivery.

Either set the value to a very high number that will allow delivery of all
mails in one connection, or set it to zero to disable the feature.

Hope this helps.

Cordially,
Mark S. Reglewski