Re: the following packages have been kept back?

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:12:20 +0000 Rachel Andrew <lists@rachelandrew.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I tried to do apt-get upgrade of my Woody system today and got the following
> message:
>
> The following packages have been kept back:
> base-config console-data kate kchart kdebase kdebase-libs kdm kfocus kivio
> kmid koffice-libs konqueror konsole koshell kscd kspread jugar kword libkonq3
>
> from searching the archives i figure this has to do with unmet dependences
> but I'm not sure how to fix it as I'd like these packages to upgrade.

>From the "upgrade" section of "man apt-get":
   New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be
   upgraded  without changing the install status of another package
   will be left at their current version.

When this happens to me, I manually "apt-get install" the kept
back packages.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
! Great Inventors of our time:                               |
!    Al Gore -> Internet                                     |
!    Sun Microsystems -> Clusters                            |