Re: journalling filesystems comparison (was ReiserFS, ext3 (was praise to the debian gods))

> My additional observations on the following journalling filesystems
> ext3, ReiserFS, XFS, as I use them at home as well as at the office...
> (at home, I have a mixed scheme of filesystems employed in partitions)

Thank you for sharing your observations.

I'm now trying woody with root fs on reiserfs on LVM on software RAID-1.
The woody reiserfs install disks were handy for this.  Haven't done much
more than successfully install and boot the system, though; tests are
still in the future.

Just how much better is XFS than reiserfs at handling large files?  As you
observed, this is important for database systems.  However, many databases
can use raw devices rather than file systems, and with LVM you have the
flexibility to change the disk space allocated to a logical volume
device without re-partitioning disks.

Best regards,

|      George Karaolides       8, Costakis Pantelides St.,         |
|      tel:   +357 99 68 08 86                  Strovolos,         |
|      email: george@karaolides.com       Nicosia CY 2057,         |
|      web:   www.karaolides.com      Republic  of Cyprus          |