Re: kernel panic---operator panic too

Hi,

I'm using kernel 2.2.14 and I have a problem with ipmasqadm portfw.

When I try to add a rule for forwarding a port I get the following error :

ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L 212.69.202.112 8002 -R 192.168.1.10 8002
portfw: setsockopt failed: Invalid argument

when I try to get get a list I get :

root@mail 09:34:06 /server/kernel/linux-2.2$ ipmasqadm portfw -l

portfw: setsockopt failed: Invalid argument
Could not open "/proc/net/ip_masq/portfw"
Could not open "/proc/net/ip_portfw"
Check if you have enabled portforwarding

>From what I understand from searching mailing lists and so on I don't have
this aspect commpiled into my kernel.

This is the .config file :

<cut>
#
# Networking options
#
CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=y
CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_FILTER=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
# CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER is not set
# CONFIG_IP_PNP is not set
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=y
CONFIG_IP_TRANSPARENT_PROXY=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE=y

#
# Protocol-specific masquerading support will be built as modules.
#
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_ICMP=y

#
# Protocol-specific masquerading support will be built as modules.
#
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTER is not set
# CONFIG_NET_IPIP is not set
# CONFIG_NET_IPGRE is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ALIAS is not set
CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=y
<cut>

I can't see the option CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MOD so no
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPPORTFW aswell.

So I suppose I need to recompile this kernel?

if so...
Can I just compile a 2.4 version to upgrade from this 2.2 version?
Is there any way not to break things apart if I compile this new kernel? Or
is the best way to go just to keep the old .config at hand when configuring
the new one?

Thx!

khb