Re: CUPS and enscript

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 06:50:08PM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 12:21:44PM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> | I'm in the process of migrating several systems from lpd to CUPS and
> | it's going pretty well aside from one detail:  lpd has its if= in
> | printcap, which provides an easy hook for throwing enscript filters
> | into the printing process.  I haven't been able to find an equivalent
> | hook in CUPS.
>
> I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you're looking for or not,
> but for one particular queue I have this line in
> /etc/cups/ppd/<printer_name>.ppd :
>
> *cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 cupsomatic"

Looks similar...  The one potential sticking point is that all the
printers have JetDirect or similar cards that maintain their own lpd
spoolers, so we're not currently using any ppds, just sending the raw
print job to the printer's own spooler.  So this might work or it
might not...

> If I was in your position, I would try creating a shell script that
> pipes through enscript.  Before I had the cupsomatic package, I used
> this for that printer :

Makes sense.  I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

> You could probaby stick enscript in there instead of gs.  (I figured
> this out by reading the CUPS Programmers manual

So that's where the information is hiding!  I'd checked the Admin
manual, but didn't think to try the Programmers manual...  Thanks for
the pointer!

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss