Re: kernel-package: --append-to-version ?

Chuck Bearden wrote:

> I'm running Potato r4, with Adrian Bunk's packages to upgrade to a
> 2.4 kernel.  I'm building a custom kernel with kernel-package, and
> I'd like to have the modules for my custom kernel land in a directory
> other than /lib/modules/2.4.17/ .  Essentially, I'd like to emulate
> the behavior of Adrian's 2.4 kernel: /lib/modules/2.4.17-586tsc/
>
> The --revision and --flavour arguments to make-kpkg don't do the trick.
> They change the name of the system map, kernel image, and kernel
> config files, but the modules still wind up in /lib/modules/2.4.17/ .

I do not know if it is the proper way, but I routinely change the
extraversion line in the top-level Makefile, i.e.:

/usr/src/linux-2.4.17/linux/Makefile

VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 4
SUBLEVEL = 17
EXTRAVERSION = f

My current kernel is my 6th compile (I'm a slow learner), and each compile
created a new package and installed modules in its own directory.

--
David Raeker-Jordan
mailto:rkrjrdn@epix.net