Re: OT-COX DHCP Cable Internet conversion

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:03:53 -0800 Jaye Inabnit ke6sls <ke6slsalt1@home.com> wrote:

>     Greetings:
>
> I wanted to post a quick note here for others going through the Cox cable
> internet transition from Excite to Cox dhcp servers.
>
> When (if) you get your kit, copy the provided number and log onto the cox web
> server and do the "migration"  as directed to establish your account.
> Currently, they are just copying data from the Excite servers to
> theirs.  Set up any new emails and you are done.
>
> Don't bother changing your dhcpcd/dhcp-client/pump settings (whatever you use
> now) since you will still use Excite until February 28th (estimated).  After
> that time, they are supposed to start serving their own IP's.  You will then
> need to drop the 'host' option and just run straight dhcp-client to obtain an
> IP.  Note also that the current plan is a 72 hour IP lease.  I am hoping they
> will let those who need them, obtain a NON-business static IP.
>
> I hope this helps others swimming in the cox residential *stuff*.

Conversion wasn't that painful.  After filling out the code # on the
website, since the host-name didn't change, all I had to do was
reboot and change the smtp & pop info in sylpheed.

The _huge_ problem was that their network was iffy for about 2 weeks,
constantly dying, and changing my IP address.  That seems to have
settled down, though.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
! Great Inventors of our time:                               |
!    Al Gore -> Internet                                     |
!    Sun Microsystems -> Clusters                            |