Re: X-windows + Mouse issue

On Tuesday 05 February 2002 12:30 pm, Craig Dickson wrote:
[snip]

> Unless you really have a need for the mouse in console mode, it's best
> to get rid of gpm entirely. X's responsiveness to mouse events is
> hindered by interposing an extra, unnecessary user process. There was
> some interesting commentary on this on debian-devel recently by Jim
> Gettys, who as one of the authors of X is better qualified than most to
> judge such things.

actually, i don't mind having it around while using mc. i used to be allergic
to gpm, having found it to be the culprit in screwing up the installation
process on a nest of rh boxes about four years back. this time around, it did
actually provide a solution to a problem that had me stumped for days. also,
i haven't really noticed any degradation in x due to the use of gpm. i will
check the devel archives for that commentary. thanks for the tip.