8139too on 2.2.19 ?

hello,

my mom is (still) having trouble with a d-link 8139 dfe+ pci nic. i've
used them on 3 pc's, with both potato and woody, and both 2.2.x and
2.4.x kernels. she was running a vanila potato install, with the
2.2.19pre1 kernel. rtl8139 (using modconf) failed to insert. she tried
everything... different irq's, irq settings in bios and PnP. i told her
how great they worked for me!
so, i mailed her my woody cd #1 that i downloaded back in november. she
now has that installed (and is very happy). it defaulted to kernel
2.2.19 (no pre1). her nic was autodetected, and the 8139too module was
inserted. now, that's weird- i've never seen (or tried) 8139too on 2.2.x
kernels. so, i had her set up her interfaces file, and networking
restart. dhcp is giving her probs., so to rule that out (for now) i
assigned her ip statically. the interface comes up, and she tried to
ping herself (192.168.1.1) and gets "neighbour buffer overflow" which
i've never seen. any thoughts?
i've also mailed her an isa 3com. we may try that, or even a 2.4.x
kernel. it's weird for me 'cause i never had a problem with those
d-links, and never used 8139too with 2.2 kernels, and also never had
that buffer error!

has anyone ever seen these errors or have suggestions?

tia,
jason

--
registered linux user #202942	|	http://counter.li.org/