Re: X-windows + Mouse issue

begin  ben  quotation:

> not sure if this will help, as i don't use a scroll-mouse--though the
> erratic mouse motion is exactly the problem i had--and i don't even
> understand why or how this solution works, but it does work for me, so
> you might want to try it.
>
> in /etc/gpm.conf, do
>
> repeat_type=raw
>
> then, in the xconfig, use /dev/gpmdata as the mouse device. again, the
> scroll wheel might not be addressed by this, but maybe there's a
> further manipulation that someone else can come up with to deal with
> that.

Unless you really have a need for the mouse in console mode, it's best
to get rid of gpm entirely. X's responsiveness to mouse events is
hindered by interposing an extra, unnecessary user process. There was
some interesting commentary on this on debian-devel recently by Jim
Gettys, who as one of the authors of X is better qualified than most to
judge such things.

Craig