undo apt-get install

When the installation process returns an error and even
'apt-get -f install' bombs out, how do I tell apt-get to
forget that I asked for the packages and to just leave the
system as it was?

The errors are:
	trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man1/gnome-pty-helper.1.gz',
	which is also in package libzvt2
and:
	trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man1/gnome-doc.1.gz',
	which is also in package gnome-bin

--
"If a thousand men were not to pay their tax bills, that would not be so
 violent and bloody a measure as it would be to pay them and enable the