Re: OT: TV Out & DVD

David Bellows <bfootdav@mindspring.com> writes:

> The downside is that scan converters run from like $70USD - $180USD
> (and more).

And if you're going to buy one of those, just save yourself a whole
lot of trouble and buy a real DVD player.  On a PIII-700 (with Xv,
mind) I haven't gotten flawless performance out of ogle, vlc or xine,
and the players are (afaik) limited to ac3 sound so you don't get
DTS.  (I also don't get 5.1 sound out of my machine, but maybe there's
some hardware somewhere which does it.)

So I don't think it's worth it.  If you want a machine to display
movies you downloaded, act as a jukebox, etc, go for it, but get a
standalone DVD player.

Error in operator: add beer