Error on Gnome startup

I have an error box coming up when I launch gnome. It says 'The applications
menu could not be loaded. Look at the condole output for a detailed
description of the errors.'

But, what console is it referring to? I looked at the console from which I
launched startx, nothing there. Would it be displayed on tty7 if I could see
that?

Does anyone know what this means? It started happening a couple of weeks ago
after an upgrade to my 'testing' system. Both the Debian and Programs menus
do have items in them, but maybe some are missing? I'm pretty clueless about
the X interface.

Please cc, I'm not on the list.

Chris (Toff) Tillman
ctillman@vmsinfo.com