diald problem

Hello,
I have diald 0.99.1-1 and I think I have set things up
properly put it is still not working.
I have replaces the contents of /etc/diald/connect
with "pppd call name" which is what I use to
bring up my ppp link. I have set things up for modem use,
and dynamic IP. When I start diald from /etc/init.d
it dumps a whole load of modprobe errors Ex:

modprobe: Can't locate module tap15
and many others.

Then it says:

diald[30416]: SLIP not supported by kernel, can't build proxy.

followed by:

diald[30416]: Unable to get a proxy interface. Manual control only.

Nevertheless diald starts but doesn't seem to dial a
connection.

Any ideas?
David.