Re: Total lockups using ext3

On 04 Feb 2002, Romain Lerallut wrote:
> Thus spake Anthony Campbell on Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:20:17AM +0000:
> > After weeks of frustration, I've finally settled that the frequent
> > lockups I've been getting when on-line with 2.4 series kernels is due to
> > enabling ext3. If I turn this off in fstab the lockups don't occur. Has
> > anyone else seen this?
>
> Yes, I have had lockups too.
>
> Config is 2.4.17 +ext3 +preempt patch +lock-break_patch
>
> I don't know which of these is causing ext3 to fail, but since
> it's all alpha stuff, I can't complain. Switching back to ext2
> solved most problems.
>
> <HELP NEEDED>
> However, it would seem that my root partition is still mounted
> as ext3, though it's specified as ext2 in /etc/fstab:
>
> dmesg:
> kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
>
> But 'mount' show / as being 'ext2'. And I still have lockups,
> though less frequent than before, when I was 100% ext3.
> </>
>
> The other partitions seem to be mounted as vanilla ext2, and
> don't seem to fail.
>
> I also have problems with SysRq+S not syncing.
> I'll rollback the patches, and stay on ext2 for the time
> being... :)

Relieved to find I'm not the only one. I don't have the above patches;
just ext3.

I tried to enable nmi_watchdog to try to spot the problem but it doesn't
seem to want to work.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For an electronic book (The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]