Re: passwd segfaulting

Quoting Larry Holish <ljholish@speakeasy.net>:

> On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 06:53:17AM -0600, whbell@bell-cs.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am running up to date woody on a small firewall box.  I have had
> this problem
> > for some time where passwd ALWAYS segfaults when it is called.  I have
> searched
> > archives, looked at the /etc/passwd to see if it may be corrupt.  I
> have
> > password shadowing turned on and cannot find any problems in the
> shadow files.
> >
> > Please help me.  I need some ideas on were to look next for this
> problem.
>
> Have you tried the /usr/sbin/pwck command?  This command verifies the
> integrity of the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files.  See the manpage
> for
> more info.
>
> --
> Larry Holish
> <ljholish@speakeasy.net>
>

> --
Here is the output from pwck.  It looks like I just have a few missing home
directories for these accounts.

tigger:/etc# pwck
user news: directory /var/spool/news does not exist
user uucp: directory /var/spool/uucp does not exist
user majordom: directory /usr/lib/majordomo does not exist
user postgres: directory /var/lib/postgres does not exist
user msql: directory /var/lib/msql does not exist
user list: directory /var/list does not exist
user gnats: directory /var/lib/gnats/gnats-db does not exist
user cyrus: directory /var/spool/cyrus does not exist
pwck: no changes

--
Bill
C.R.E.A.M.  Dark Angel