kernel broadcasting needed when upgrading to CUPS 1.1.12-5 ??

Hi,

When upgrading my woody system from CUPS 1.1.12-4 to 1.1.12-5, the
library libslp1 1.0.6-3 was installed.

libslp1 (OpenSLP) requires broadcasting, and for this route to
be added:
    route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev <interface>

Why do I need an "IETF standard protocol (RFC 2608) that is used to
discover/advertise services on the network"?  Is this so that other
machines can see that I have an available printer?  Something like
with Windows Network Neighborhood?

Printing still works, so not having that rould must not be affecting
me too much...

Thanks
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
! Great Inventors of our time:                               |
!    Al Gore -> Internet                                     |
!    Sun Microsystems -> Clusters                            |