gdk fontset warning problem

Hi All:

All of my gdk applications give the error:

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation
Gdk-WARNING **:     ISO8859-1

on startup (e.g., gvim, gqview, etc..).

This problem seems to be fairly common, based on a number of google.com
searches, particularly for people using other character sets.  I am just
using the standard English language characters, though.  I have been unable
to find any bug report, list posting, FAQ, or HOWTO that answers this
frequently posted problem.

Can anyone suggest how I might go about trouble-shooting this?

I am using sid, all recently upgraded, although the problem has been around
for me for a while.

Thank you.
---
Adam Kessel (adam@bostoncoop.net)