Re: What is a good, small, web browser?

* Rob Mahurin (rob@utk.edu) wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 06:20:18PM -0800, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 17:58:06 -0800, "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > > It's not for older/slower boxen though.  I'd recommend *NO LESS* than a
> > > PII-233, and think you'll be happier with a PIII-600+ CPU.  For memory,
> > > 128 MiB minimum, 256 strongly recommended.  Particularly under intensive
> > > use (I can easily get over 100 tabs/windows open) it sucks both CPU and
> > > memory.  But it does good things with both.
> >
> > Galeon does fine on this old 266 with 64MB of RAM.  It certainly does
> > better than Mozilla proper or Konqueror (KDE > 1.x is just too memory
> > hungry).  So, while 128 is probably nicer, I'd hesitate to say it was
> > the minimum.
>
> I'm also running Galeon quite happily on a P-200, albeit with 128 MB
> of RAM.  The menus are a bit sluggish to display, but the browser as a
> whole is much better/faster/cheaper than anything else I've used.
>
> Rob

 I'll second it. I'm running Galeon on a double PPro 200 with
low-latency and pre-emptive kernel patches compiled in and it's a snap.

Alex.

Oleksandr Moskalenko <malex@purdue.edu>
pub  1024D/6C5F196B 2001-08-17 /* http://www.tagancha.org/pgp */
Oleksandr V. Moskalenko (Alex) <malex@tagancha.org>
Fingerprint = EE63 C471 ADBA 5D80 ADFB  1054 DA28 6F32 6C5F 196B