Re: Samba clarification

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:36:30PM -0800, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
| On Friday 01 February 2002 12:41, you wrote:
| > Hi,
| > Wired 4 Life installs a number of linux servers which allow Windows Boxes
| > to access network services such as windows, internet and ... Printers.
| > Printer services dont need to be integrated with Samba, in fact samba can
| > be confusing for many admins as they want to integrate systems in a windows
| > fashion. Have you played with either
| > 	lpd
| > 	cups
|
| This brings up another question, and I don't mean to start a debate but....
| What do most prefer; lprng, cups, etc.? What are the benifits of one over the
| other?
| I used LPRng because it was already installed on my workstation.

I like CUPS because it was a one-package deal (as opposed to trying to
figure out the control flow of a whole bunch of other programs) yet is
still modular and easy to work with.  It comes with many drivers (most
are in separate packages like the -gimpprint one or the -foomatic
one).  It also supports all the protocols I've heard of (lpd,
parallel, serial, HP JetDirect, ipp, samba).

-D

--

Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.