From: Jason Majors <jason@kwiqsilver.org>
To: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: newbie question
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:27:26 -0700

> hi all.
>
> im just a newbie, both to unix and linux.
>
> i installed gdm, and now, when debian boots, it boots
> in graphical mode.
>
> how do i set it so i can make it boot on text mode? i
> want to start x windows via startx, not whenever i
> boot.
I did it by doing 'apt-get remove gdm' as root. But you could also just
modify the gdm start file /etc/init.d/gdm (I think).
Or remove the link to it in /etc/rc2.d/SXXgdm (where XX is some number,
probably 90 or 99).
The last option will keep it from starting, without removing it from your
system (in case you want it later).