Re: Is Framebuffer needed?

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 10:44:52AM -0500, John Kuhn wrote:
| On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 08:36:14PM -0600, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
| > In trying to optimize my Voodoo 3500 with mplayer I compiled my kernel
| > 2.4.17 with framebuffer support.  Is this necessary, or what advantages
| > do framebuffers have?  In the docs it seems that fb's simply allow for
| > similar config's on different architechures.  Therefore, if one is
| > running an Intel machine then it doesn't seem like framebuffers have
| > any added advantage.  Is this correct?
|
| Here is a quote from Linus himself on this issue:
|
|    "No sane person should use frame buffers if they have the choice."

I'd like to know why.  I'm using framebuffer on both machines I manage
and it is really nice -- no mucking with X config and awesome screen
real-estate in console mode.

-D

--

I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.  Now a slave
has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever.