Re: ssmtp for Hylafax? (Was: Re: MTA recomendations?)

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 02:33:28PM -0700, Kevin Beauchamp wrote:
| On 31 Jan 2002 15:10:52 -0500, Timothy H. Keitt wrote:
| >On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 13:55, Stan Brown wrote:
|
| >> I'm seting up a new woody box for my wife to use. I need a recomendation on
| >> an easy to set up, reliable MTA.
| >>
| >Also take a look at the ssmtp package.
|
| I am interested in this particular package for use with a PC
| we've got configured as a Hylafax server. I would like a
| bare bones MTA that would only have to handle outgoing
| mail to the fax admin at first, mailing received faxes for
| distribution. It may also have to accept some incoming
| faxes as email later if I select that option instead of the network
| print option. As a new Debian user, the simpler the better.
|
| Would ssmtp for a good fit for my situation?
| Are there any other MTAs that would be a good choice?

ssmtp is good IF :
    1)  no local delivery desired, ever
    2)  no queueing and retyring desired, ever

I used ssmtp for quite a while while I was stuck on windows (I used
mutt with it on cygiwn).  Now I know that exim is available for cygwin.

ssmtp implements the bare minimum of the SMTP protocol such that it
can hand messages off to a designated relay.  If you want better error
handling (queueing and retrying if the relay is temporarily down,
local deliveries (from cron, etc), and things like that) then use a
full-blown MTA.

-D

--

the nice thing about windoze is - it does not just crash,
it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'ok' first.