Re: gnome, mozilla question (potato)

On 31 Jan 2002, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 20:18, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > No, at least on my system, this still leaves the same problem--it brings
> > up the correct browser, but opens the default home page, not the
> > highlighted URL.---b.
> Which gnome version?

Beats me.  I'm running testing, and the gnome-core pkg, e.g., is
1.4.0.4-15.  Mozilla is 0.9.7, in a tarball that was installed at
/usr/local/mozilla, with /usr/local/bin/mozilla a script that runs
/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla with output redirected to /dev/null (I set it
up that way some time ago when mozilla was still spitting out lots of
debugging stuff to the terminal all the time).

And, in fact, I now realize that this script was the source of the
problem--the /usr/local/bin/mozilla script wasn't passing on its arguments
to mozilla, so the URL was getting passed to mozilla.  With that script
fixed, everything works perfectly (though note that ``gnome-moz-remote
--newwin "%s"'' is I think the preferred gnome-ish handler for URL's; it
will respect your netscape/mozilla preference, and tell an existing
instance of mozilla to open a new window instead of starting up a new
instance).  Anyway, thanks for motivating me to look into this....

(Note, however, that I'm not the original poster, who I think was running
Potato, so his/her problem may still remain).---Bruce F.