root disk fails on old compaq

Hi,

I bought an old Compaq Prolinea Net1/25s to use as a cheap
mailserver, and I'm having trouble at the very early debian install
phase.  I'm planning to install via floppy and then ftp.  I boot with the
rescue disk, with no obvious problem.  At the "Insert root floppy" prompt,
I put in the root floppy.  Next I get

_

At this point it stops.  After a few seconds, the floppy drive stops
reading.

I know the rescue and root disks I have work, because they work on my
laptop.  I've also tried booting with the "root=/dev/fd0" option, with the
same results.  I know the hard drive, and the computer, in general, is
alright, because it runs Windows 3.x and DOS with no problem.  Any good
ideas?

I'm going to include all my system stats below.  feel free to ignore them.

-patrick

(from a website)

          OVERVIEW
             CPU type/speed/cache/ROM level:         80486sx / 25 / 0
                                                     / 8/25/93
          HARDWARE
             Total memory:                           4 Mb
                Conventional:                        640 Kb
		Reserved:			     384 Kb
		Extended:			     3072 Kb
             EMS memory board make/model:            None
             EMS memory board IO address:            None
             EMS memory board frame address:         None
             Keyboard type/language:                 Native / US
             Video type:                             VGA
             Network card make/model:                DEC EtherWORKS
                                                     (LC, DE205)
             Network card IRQ:                       5
             Network card IO address:                300
             Network card memory address:            D000
             Mouse make/model:                       Compaq / M-S28-
                                                     6MD
             Mouse port or COM port or IRQ:          Mouse Port

(from opening up the computer)

the floppy drive is a Mitsubishi MF355F-498UC
hard drive listed in boot info below

(possibly relevant items from boot)

hda: QUANTUM TRB420A, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: QUANTUM TRB420A, 402MB w/96kB Cache, CHS=1010/16/51
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.36.6 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
.
.
.
Partition check: