sound problem within gnome

Hi,

I have a strange sound problem within gnome. I ask this already on the
german list, however nobody could help me so far.

I can play any sound file using the esdplay command when gnome is
running. However no sound events are played automatically. And when I
use the play button in the gnome control center to play selected sound
events, nothing happens. The sound server is enabled (checked in the
Sound Monitor Applet). And the strange thing is, when I use the Sound
Monitor Manager from this applet, I _can_ play the samples on the
samples slide.

Has someone any hint to find out, why the sound events are not played?

The system is completely from woody.

TIA,

Karlheinz