From: eric [mailto:fsshl@centurytel.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 11:11 AM
To: debian-user; grisu@debian.org
Subject: printcap problem

after I run magicfilterconf, choose all default, hp laserjet 4 and
related filter
my /etc/printcap still have nothing.

actaully my printer is brother laser mfc 8500, I ever configure it as
mfc8300 at rh7.2, it work good there,(lprng, I installed it)  it also work
good at
mandrake8.0(cups)

hope to see someone 's help, thanks in advance, eric

I am sure, no printcap in /tmp directory, my /etc/modules.conf do have parport lowlevel
fsshl@progeny:~$ lpr xfree
Status Information:
sending job 'fsshl@progeny+284' to missingprinter@localhost
connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
connected to 'localhost'
requesting printer missingprinter@localhost
job 'fsshl@progeny+284' transfer to missingprinter@localhost failed
 error 'NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER' with ack 'ACK_FAIL'
 sending str '^Bmissingprinter' to missingprinter@localhost
error msg: 'spool queue for 'missingprinter' does not exist on server progeny.localdomain.fake'
error msg: '   non-existent printer or you need to run 'checkpc -f''

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

fsshl@progeny:~$ cat /etc/printcap
### magicfilter DEBCONF AREA. DO NOT EDIT THIS AREA OR INSERT TEXT BEFORE IT.

# To add a printer not effected by magicfilter, simply add it at the
# end of this file.
#
# To completely take this file out of magicfilter's control, delete it
# (or at least the first line) and answer "no" when dpkg-reconfigure
# magicfilter asks you whether or not you want to proceed anyway.
#
# To take an entry that was generated by magicfilter's configure system
# and edit it manually, do this:
# 1. Copy the printer definition to the end of the file.
# 2. Run dpkg-reconfigure magicfilter and delete the printer from there.
# 3. Edit the definition at the end of the file as you like.

### END OF DEBCONF AREA.  PLACE YOUR EDITS BELOW; THEY WILL BE PRESERVED.