Re: General Update Hints Potato->Woody

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 09:35:37PM +0100, Holger Rauch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there something like a "upgrade HOWTO" describing upgrading
> Potato->Woody in more detail? If so, pointers are most welcome.
>
> Is it "safe" to upgrade to Woody/testing at present or may it leave the
> system unusable?

Others have already described the mechanics of upgrading.  I will add
some comments about whether it is "safe" to upgrade to testing.

Last Friday I upgraded my old (~6 months) testing system to the current
testing.  As a result of the upgrade I hit 2 release critical bugs.

The first (BTS #130306) was a because of a conflict between the old
libaspell4 and new libaspell10/aspell-en.  The solution for this was
easy enough -- manually remove libaspell4 then the new packages will
install correctly.  A fix for this has been uploaded to unstable, but
I don't think it is in testing yet.

I don't have a solution to the second bug (#131104) yet.  It is a problem
when you upgrade from apache 1.3.9 (stable) to 1.3.22.  The solution does
not seem to be as simple as correcting the capitalization in the config
file to the apache "standard".  Perhaps it has to do with the 3 config
file vs 1 config file in 1.3.9/1.3.22.  I don't know.

Anyway, this was a long way of saying:  if you NEED or EXPECT your system
to work without a hitch, don't upgrade to testing.  If you are willing
to track down problems, check the BTS, file new bugs as needed, and
provide solutions to bugs then go ahead and upgrade to testing.

Have fun,
John