Re: Quake III

* crispin@iinet.net.au (crispin@iinet.net.au) wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 10:25:24PM -0600, Corey Halpin wrote:
> >   I'm using the following hardware: Pentium-II, 320M RAM.  Intel 440LX AGP
> > chipset.  Matrox g400.
> >   When I run quake 3, it runs for a few minutes, and then locks X such that I
> > can't switch consoles.  The video freezes where it was, and the sound starts
> > looping on itself.  I can ssh in.  If I kill X, it doesn't save the console.
> >   Does anyone have an install of Quake III that doesn't do this?
>
> Try switching off sound. It doesn't lock anymore, right!
>
> Its the sound drivers DMA issues or something.
>
> Had this problem for a while, upgraded video cards, everything. Then found out it was sound card. I have an el cheapo by the way.
>
> Maybe a high quality sound card would work better
>
> Crispin

Nope, SBLive value barfs in situations like this regularly. For example,
on quake2 any "battle" scene slows down to an unusable level with sound
becoming raspy and jerky and FPS getting to 2 or 3.  This is a
combination of a Celeron-800/Matrox G400 32Mb/SBLive.

And that card's drivers were supposed to be very good...

 Alex.