Re: root password forgotten

on Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 07:01 PM -0500, Brian J. Zuk (brian@zukland.com) wrote:

> I'd recommend Tom's Root Boot disk(http://www.toms.net/rb/).  The boot
> disk maker will run in Linux or Windows(shuts down windows and runs
> Linux using loadlin).  Boot the workstation with the Tom's disk
> inside, follow the directions, mount the harddrive(/dev/hda?) and
> either edit the password file and remove the root password or run
> chroot and make a new root password.

Please use postfix quoting format:  your reply goes below the material
cited.  Trim your quotes appropriately and ensure your attributions are
accurate.

Thank you.

As good as TRB is, I'd hesitate to recommend it for this purpose for a
few reasons.  Principally, it still uses a 2.0.x kernel, and (AFAIK),
the older style of ext2fs support.  There was an incompatible break in
format in the 2.2.x kernel series.  Tom's also lacks support for ext3fs
and reiserfs, both of which are showing up increasingly on newer and
upgraded systems.  You could update your TRB and use this, but would
likely have problems with a stock boot disk.

I'd probably pick the lnx-bbc project's bootable business card:
http://www.lnx-bbc.org/

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org